No products in the cart.
Mouse over to zoom in
Click to open expanded view
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Pie (Cayman Style)
Out of stock
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Pie Recipe (Cayman Style)
Total Time: 40 mins
- 1 lb Macaroni cooked according to directions on the package
- 2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 oz gruyere cheese or smoked gouda, grated (optional)
- 8 oz white cheddar, grated (optional)
- 4 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp Dijon or yellow mustard
- ¼ tsp black pepper or pepper sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 baking dish then set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottom saucepot over low heat melt butter. Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Add milk and cook until milk is warm and the sauce has thickened a bit into a rue. Set 1 1/2 cup of grated cheese aside, this will be for the top.
- Add remainder of cheeses, black pepper, Dijon mustard, salt, and beaten egg then stir until smooth. Add macaroni to the cheese sauce, stir making sure the macaroni is well coated.
- Pour into a large baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place into oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Allow cooling before serving.
If you are unable to find Gruyere cheese, you can use smoked gouda instead or just all cheddar cheese. In the Caribbean when making Macaroni Pie they typically don’t make a cheese sauce. Instead, all of the ingredients minus the flour and butter are combined with the macaroni. I find that I prefer this version as its more creamy.
The total baked pyrex dish is CI$12.00
For a 3-inch square, serving for your meal is a side which is FREE