No products in the cart.
Mouse over to zoom in
Click to open expanded view
Curry Beef Stew Traditional or w/ Potatoes or w/Carrots
Out of stock
Curry Stew Beef recipe
Curry Stew Beef recipe as Traditional or w/ Potatoes or w/Carrots
- 1 1/2 lbs beef chuck cut into 1 1/2-inch piece of stew beef
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 white onion medium, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger peeled, finely chopped or paste
- 3 tbsp curry powder preferably Jamaican
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 13.5-oz cans unsweetened coconut milk (optional for a creamy sauce)
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces (optional)
- 1 lb Carrots, Sliced (optional)
Season beef all over with kosher salt. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches (you want the beef browned, not steamed), cook beef until browned on all sides, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Pour off all but a tablespoon of oil from pot. Reduce heat to medium and add the butter, onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring often and scraping up browned bits, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add curry powder and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes. Stir in bay leaves, coconut milk, and 1 cup of water.
Return beef to pot. Season with salt and bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until beef is just fork tender, 30–35 minutes.
Add potatoes and/or carrots, bring to a simmer again, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until beef and potatoes are tender, 25–35 minutes. Thin with water if needed; season with salt to taste. *Serve over White rice or Rice & beans and sides.