No products in the cart.
Mouse over to zoom in
Click to open expanded view
Curry Goat (Jamaican Style) Traditional or w/Potatoes
Out of stock
Curry Goat Recipe (Jamaican Style) w/ Potatoes or Traditional
Serves 4 – 6
For marinating the meat
- 3 pounds Goat meat, cut medium-sized,bone-in or bone out
- 5-6 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 5-6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, sliced and de-seeded
For preparing the curry
- 4-5 tablespoons oil, for cooking
- 4 cups water, boiling temperature
- 1 spring Thyme
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 medium-sized Potatoes, peeled and largely cut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon, Tomato sauce (Ketchup)
- Salt and Black pepper, as per taste
Meat marination –
- First, wash the curry goat in a small solution of vinegar or lime in freshwater and rinse and drain.
- Take a large mixing bowl and combine the goat meat along with curry powder, and minced garlic.
- Add the scotch bonnet peppers and sprinkle some salt and pepper in it.
- Mix well and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 5-6 hours, or preferably overnight.
Curry Preparation –
- Once the meat has marinated sufficiently, take it out from the refrigerator and add the onions.
- Place a large saucepan over high heat and pour some oil in it. Once the oil is sufficiently hot, put the marinated meat and let it cook till it turns almost brown, keep stirring occasionally.
- As the meat turns brown, add some thyme and pour in the hot water. Cook, it covered over medium to low heat for around an hour or so.
- Meanwhile, chop a single medium-sized onion and add it to the cooking meat (from the marinade).
- Pour in some more water if needed and let it boil. Once the meat curry starts to boil, add the cut potatoes(optional) along with the ketchup and let it cook over reduced heat for 30-40 minutes till the meat is thoroughly cooked and tender.
- The level of spices can be adjusted as per the taste.
- More curry powder can be added if needed.
- This dish goes well with White Rice or Rice & Peas